May 23, 2023
| Pages: 257-265 | Views: 65
Accreditation is typically a voluntary process that involves a thorough evaluation of an organization’s policies, procedures, and practices. Much like a colonoscopy, the evaluation process probes deep and can be uncomfortable. With the discomfort, time, cost, and effort it takes to undergo evaluation for accreditation, the natural question is whether it is worth doing. In this paper, I will review the history of accreditation and the results of systematic literature reviews focused on the impact of accreditation. I will also discuss how accreditation may help provide quality control in behavior analysis and safeguard against service providers’ behaviors being solely shaped by funding sources, such as insurance providers. Lastly, I will provide critical questions consumers can ask to assess accrediting bodies’ transparency, objectivity, and fairness when they are seeking accreditation.
- Alkhenizan, A., & Shaw, C. (2011). Impact of accreditation on the quality of healthcare services: A systematic review of the literature. Annals of Saudi medicine, 31(4), 407-416. https://doi.org/10.4103/0256-4947.83204
- ANSI National Accreditation Board. (2022). Tips For Selecting A Certification Body. https://anab.ansi.org/management-systems-accreditation/certification-bodies/how-to-select
- Araujo, C. A. S., Siqueira, M. M., & Malik, A. M. (2020). Hospital accreditation impact on healthcare quality dimensions: A systematic review. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 32(8), 531-544. https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzaa090
- Baer, D. M., Wolf, M. M., & Risley, T. R. (1968). Some current dimensions of applied behavior analysis. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 1(1), 91-97. https://doi.org/10.1901/jaba.1968.1-91
- Baer, D. M., Wolf, M. M., & Risley, T. (1987). Some still-current dimensions of applied behavior analysis. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 20(4), 313-327. https://doi.org/10.1901/jaba.1987.20-313
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board. (2017). BCBA task list (5th ed.). Littleton, CO: Author.
- Behavioral Health Center of Excellence. (2022, August 2). Re: Top Questions for ABA Providers to Ask When Choosing an Accreditation Program. BHCOE Accreditation. https://www.bhcoe.org/2022/08/top-questions-for-aba-providers-to-ask-when-choosing-an-accreditation-program/
- Behavioral Health Center of Excellence (2022). BHCOE/ANSI 201: Standards of Excellence for Applied Behavior Analysis Services. Los Angeles, CA: publisher.
- Behavioral Health Center of Excellence. (n.d.). How BHCOE Helps Ensure Quality ABA Care and Parental Peace of Mind. BHCOE Accreditation. https://www.bhcoe.org/parent-autism-quality-aba-providers/
- Bracewell, N., & Winchester, D. E. (2021). Accreditation in health care: does it make any difference to patient outcomes?. BMJ Quality & Safety, 30(11), 845-847. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2020-012533
- Bowman, K. S., Suarez, V. D., & Weiss, M. J. (2021). Standards for interprofessional collaboration in the treatment of individuals with autism. Behavior Analysis in Practice, 14(4), 1191-1208. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40617-021-00560-0
- Cabana, M. D., Rand, C. S., Powe, N. R., Wu, A. W., Wilson, M. H., Abboud, P. A., & Rubin, H. R. (1999). Why don't physicians follow clinical practice guidelines? A framework for improvement. JAMA, 282(15), 1458-1465. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.15.1458
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2021). Quality Measurement and Quality Improvement. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/MMS/Quality-Measure-and-Quality-Improvement-
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2022). Quality Measures. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/QualityMeasures
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2022). Quality Measures: How They Are Developed, Used, & Maintained. https://mmshub.cms.gov/sites/default/files/Guide-Quality-Measures-How-They-Are-Developed-Used-Maintained.pdf
- Cumming, T., & Miller, M. D. (2019). Academic assessment: Best practices for successful outcomes with accreditation evaluation teams. New Directions for Community Colleges, 2019(186), 81–93. https://doi.org//10.1002/cc.20359
- Donabedian A. (1990). The seven pillars of quality. Archives of pathology & laboratory medicine, 114(11), 1115–1118.
- Eaton, J. S. (2015). An Overview of US Accreditation. Revised November 2015. Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
- Gershfeld Litvak, S., & Sush, D. J. (2023). Ethics and Legal Issues. In J. Matson (Ed.), Handbook of Applied Behavior Analysis: Integrating Research into Practice. Springer.
- Gonick, S., Heffernan, M., Siegfried, A.L., Kennedy, M., & Meit, M.B. (2020). Assessing Accreditation Outcomes: Quality Improvement and Performance Management Findings. Bethesda, MD: NORC.
- Hinchcliff, R., Greenfield, D., Moldovan, M., Westbrook, J. I., Pawsey, M., Mumford, V., & Braithwaite, J. (2012). Narrative synthesis of health service accreditation literature. BMJ quality & safety, 21(12), 979-991. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2012-000852
- Hovlid, E., Braut, G. S., Hannisdal, E., Walshe, K., Bukve, O., Flottorp, S., ... & Frich, J. C. (2020). Mediators of change in healthcare organisations subject to external assessment: a systematic review with narrative synthesis. BMJ open, 10(8), e038850. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-038850
- Ibrahim, H. A.-H. (2014). Quality assurance and accreditation in education. Open Journal of Education, 2(2), 106-110. https://doi.org/10.12966/oje.06.06.2014
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee to Design a Strategy for Quality Review and Assurance in Medicare. Medicare: A Strategy for Quality Assurance, Vol. 1. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1990. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK235462/
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the Twenty-First Century. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2001.
- Joint Commission. (2022). Wikipedia. Retrieved February 2, 2023 from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Commission
- Kazemi, E. & Morford, Z. (2022, May 12). The Value of BHCOE Accreditation: Comparing Accredited to Non-Accredited Organizations & Review of Customer Surveys [PowerPoint slides]. Behavioral Health Center of Excellence.
- Lam, M. B., Figueroa, J. F., Feyman, Y., Reimold, K. E., Orav, E. J., & Jha, A. K. (2018). Association between patient outcomes and accreditation in US hospitals: observational study. BMJ, 363. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k4011
- Lenaway, D., Corso, L., & Bailey, S. (2007). Accreditation as an opportunity to strengthenpublic health. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 13(4), 332–333. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.phh.0000278023.26326.25
- Reporting To The Ethics Department. (2023). Behavior Analyst Certification Board. Retrieved February 3, 2023 from https://www.bacb.com/ethics-information/reporting-to-ethics-department/
- ROI Institute. (2022). The Impact and ROI of Joint Commission Accreditation for Behavioral Health. [White Paper]. https://www.jointcommission.org/-/media/tjc/documents/accred-and-cert/bhc/20230208-tjc-bhc-white-paper.pdf
- Shryock, K., & Reed, H. (2009, June). ABET accreditation: Best practices for assessment. In 2009 Annual Conference & Exposition (pp. 14-148).
- Ülker, N. (2020). An Analysis of Current Trends in Higher Education: The Place and Importance of Students' Learning Experiences in Quality Assurance. Journal of Higher Education & Science/Yüksekögretim ve Bilim Dergisi, 10(3).
- World Health Organization. (2022). Health care accreditation and quality of care: Exploring the role of accreditation and external evaluation of health care facilities and organizations. Geneva: World Health Organization. License: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.
- Wright Jr, J. R. (2017). The American College of Surgeons, minimum standards for hospitals, and the provision of high-quality laboratory services. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, 141(5), 704-717. https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2016-0348-HP
California State University
Download data is not yet available.